Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Bling frosted ribbon cake!


Hey Want2Scrap friends! I am so glad you could join me for one of my favorite techniques....ribbon cakes! Several years ago I noticed birthday cards made with scraps of ribbon shaped into birthday cakes. This is a technique I love to return to for using up those pretty ribbon scraps that are too gorgeous to throw away....


As my design skills (and product stash!) have changed and grown over the years I have found that I like putting my ribbon cake on a nice base like the Nestaboard Labels Eighteen covered in swiss dot embossed paper and bordered with a gorgeous Nestabling Labels Eighteen - Black in the largest size on the sheet. I also use the "cake plate" portion of a birthday cake in the Stampin Up! stamp set called Blooming with Happiness. Check your birthday stamp sets for cake plates that you can adapt for this technique. Freehand drawing or computer printed clip-art are other options.


With my ribbon cake Nestaboard prepped and ready to go, I begin building my layered cake on a separate piece of cardstock. I use plain white but you could experiment with other colors and prints too! Don't worry too much about getting the ribbon lengths to a certain width but do make sure they are completely glued from end to end with a liquid glue like one of my favorites, Fabri-tac from Beacon Adhesives. Anything goes here...ribbons, pearl trim, lace etc. I chose an easy pink and black theme for this card but the color combos are wide open. All white and cream is a great option for wedding cards too!


As I build my "cake", I keep my Nestaboard base nearby to estimate how high and wide my cake should be. Once the fabri-tac has dried I freehand cut my cake to three tiers rounding the top corners a bit.


Don't stress over the hand cutting, a little variation is almost a given for a project like this. Wonky "layers" of your cake could be exaggerated for a more trendy Mad Hatter tea party cake design too! Once you know your cake fits the frame, glue it with a liquid craft glue like 3-In-1 Advanced craft glue from Beacon Adhesives.


Final touches like Want2Scrap bling and paper flowers can be added. Don't you just *love* the dimension that bling and simple trims can add to your creations?


Fun right?! Can you see yourself gathering up a fistful of pretty bits and turning them into something wonderful? A little bit of leftover goes a long way so make a bunch and you'll always have a card at the ready for those special birthdays in your life. Thanks so much for joining me today! If you make a "ribbon cake" using Want2Scrap products, I hope you'll share a picture of your project over on our Facebook Page. I'd love to see what your take on this technique is!



Want2Scrap™ supplies

Cross Promotional Products:

Other Products:
Paper: Papertrey Ink and Making Memories
Stamps: Stampin Up!
Embosser: Cuttlebug Swiss Dots
Paper flower: Prima
Glitter Glue: Ranger
Trims and ribbons: ruffled crepe paper by Tara Anderson
and remnant ribbons and trims from my stash

3 comments:

  1. WOW, I LOVE the cake..Also, you said you want to know if we want to win prizes...I DOOOOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this technique! So smart. I will definitely be trying it! Bling is always fun to use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE it when Dana bakes for us! {HEE HEE!} What a SUPER delish project, easy on the waist line and splendid to the eye! GREAT project, sweet Dana! Thanks for the terrific inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover